Spring is upon us and Summer is right around the corner! One of my absolute favorite parts of warm weather is sweet tea! I used to buy bottles and bottles of it, but the pre-made kind sold in stores is so full of unnecessary preservatives, extra flavors and colors and ridiculous amounts of sugar and corn syrup. So I started making my own using just FOUR ingredients (one being water)! So now I get my favorite drink and I can pronounce everything that’s in it! Here’s all you need to make it:
- Four black tea bags (you can use any kind you like! I’m making the switch to organic but today I used Lipton since that’s what’s in the house)
- One lemon
- Sugar or preferred sweetener
- Boil half the water that you plan on using. I use a gallon pitcher so I boil a half gallon of water just over the stove.
- Pour the water into your pitcher – make sure you are using either glass or a plastic that is safe for high temperatures. Steep all four tea bags for about five minutes.
- Fill the rest of the pitcher with water. Especially if you are using a glass pitcher, make sure you aren’t using cold water or else your pitcher could crack! I typically get my water to about room temperature. Let the tea steep an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags from the pitcher. Slice the lemon to about 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- Add lemon slices and sugar/sweetener to taste. I add about one cup of sugar to my full gallon pitcher, but I know southerners are more likely to use more and those who are more sugar conscious may prefer less!
- You can either add ice to enjoy a glass immediately or if you are like myself and don’t like it to get too watered down, you can just cool it in the fridge for about an hour.
This is seriously my favorite! It is so delicious, and I hope you enjoy it as well! 🙂
Free Spirit Babe