We are all different. We all have different dreams, different values, different priorities. Everything we look at, we see differently from those around us. Psychologically speaking, everything we see and understand is partially objective raw data, but also partially formed through our brain’s interpretation based on our own biases that we can’t even control. Crazy isn’t it? Well – we all have different working styles as well.
I talk all the time about how I’m following my dreams to entrepreneurship in a creative and healthy manner, but that doesn’t mean entrepreneurship is for everyone! Sure, there are a lot of people in the corporate world who really don’t fit there but don’t know how to get out, but otherwise there are many who do fit there because of their values on routines, following direction and low risk environments. Neither is wrong, but this post might help you decide which side you fall on (although it’s likely you already have a good idea of which position better suits you!).
Needing a Boss
These people value routine and consistency. They like a certain amount of structure in their lives that they can follow from start to finish. They aren’t necessarily not creative people, but they much prefer that someone lays down the expectations and guidelines for them to work through and prefer the actual implementation of others’ ideas rather than trying to think of these guidelines themselves. They definitely can be do-ers, and will take the direction that is given to them and run with it, putting their entire efforts into making sure everything fits within the lines.
- Reliable – This person can always be counted on to get done exactly what is laid out for them, as they take pride in being able to take direction and make it happen.
- Consistant – Because of the value of routine and structure, this person very seldom slips up or provides work that might be considered mediocre.
- Low Risk – Again based off of the value of routine and also security, this person is more likely remain a high performer in making sure work is completed on time and in the manner that it is requested.
Being the Boss
This is the person who usually daydreams of the things they wish they could be doing instead of working a corporate job. They are more likely to question the importance of what they are told is a priority, or to try and get things done in a different way than they were instructed. This person highly values more simplistic things, and tends to see inspiration in things that may not seem significant to most. They are usually very passionate people and constantly are in their own mind working and re-working ideas around the things that they love, even if their attention is expected elsewhere.
- Creative – These people see ways to modify absolutely anything and see it in a different light. They’d more often than not prefer to try and do something a little differently each time rather than consistently follow a set procedure.
- Less Impacted by Pressure – These people often find it very easy to go with the flow when the unexpected is thrown their way, or when they have deadlines to meet. This is likely due to the fact that their brains are wired to constantly be re-arranging pieces to plans.
- Determined – They are very goal orientated, and as soon as they are working on something they love, they will work and re-work all aspects required in order to reach their goals. As long as this person is also persistent, they will work at their passions and ideas forever, constantly changing them to fit the changing environmental factors.
Again, neither of these are bad! Throw either in the other’s situation and they are guaranteed to be unhappy. Success on either path will take a lot of work and time, but once you understand where you fit, you’ll enjoy the sights and experiences along the way.
“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.” – Steve Jobs
Free Spirit Babe